View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom30 View Post
if you have any research bookmarked that you can share I'd appreciate it.
Hey Tom!

I haven't done much research online one macrobiotics; I just read through the cookbooks my wife bought.

I did find the book Anti-Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber to have a lot of good common-sense stuff in it -- backed up be research. It's not focused on blood cancers, but he's a neurologist who had a brain tumor early in life, responded to treatment, relapsed, and began to wonder why. So he has a lot of good stuff on anti-oxidants, soy, green tea, chocolate, as well as exercise and meditation. It's worth a look.

I bought "How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine" on the recommendation of another marrowforums member, but I haven't started reading it yet (You'd think this sort of thing would take priority, but there's this new book on eels I just had to read first!).

If you're increasing grains, I highly recommend Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal and Five Grain Cereal for breakfast. We're also big fans of bulgur wheat based tabouleh salad, particularly in the summer.

This is going to sound strange, but bear with me. I have laying hens, and feed them on a ration I mix myself, using whole and cracked grains (scratch) and a vegetarian commercial layer feed. I can buy scratch that's just wheat and corn anywhere, but one of my suppliers has a four-grain scratch that also includes milo and millet. I make the extra effort to get that because the hens love it and lay better when I give it to them. They do better on a greater variety of grains, I think because they get a fuller complement of amino acids.

People ain't chickens, but I think the principle holds. Better brown rice tonight, oatmeal in the morning, and some bulgur at lunch than just one grain or another.

That's my chick-o-biotic thinking on grains!

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com