View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:17 AM

Protocol for blood transfusions

Hi,

I was just wondering if people can write in and describe the protocol used in their establishment for receiving blood.

I received 4 units of blood today at approximately 240 -250 millilitres per bag. The nurse also ran in 1 litre of saline. This was done over a period of around 5 hours. I was given IV Frusemide 20mgs after the first unit of blood.

My blood pressure when I arrived was 90/48 but after the third unit had risen to 150/90. The nurse herself, made the comment about how I would probably feel like I'm full of fluid and would probably need to pass a lot of urine in the next 12 hours or so.

I could feel my heart beating heavily and it was also radiating to my neck.

The protocol for observations taken during the transfusion are :

Blood pressure, pulse and temperature at the beginning and in the middle of each unit of blood.

I know that I'm young enough (53) and fit enough to tolerate a lot of fluid at the one time but even so, I still feel that it has an effect on me. I would really be worried if they tried to give that amount of fluid to my 82 year old father with a heart condition. I don't think his body would handle it.

Does your oncology unit take age and condition into consideration when giving blood ??

Just very interested.

Chirley today Hb 60 ANC 0.7 Lymphs 0.4 Platelets 210
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion