Thread: Upcoming BMT
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:37 AM

Upcoming BMT

My husband was diagnosed in May 2012. Although he had been very sick for about a year and a half before MDS was confirmed. He has had 10 dacagen treatments with a little improvement. He is still transfusion depedent for RBC although not as frequent in the beginning, his white cell count stays below 1.0 however is platelets stay pretty good. He's only had one platelet transfusion.

The hematologist started talking BMT in January. We saw the transplant doctor in February and they already found 4 donors. One of which is willing to complete the process and is rated a 9.5 match which I gather is very good. They want to schedule the transplant near the end of March. We were orginally told this process takes about 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad they found a donor so quickly, and that donor is willing to do this for a person they don't even know, but it made my heart stop when we got that call. It scares me to death! My husband was a little hesitant, but has accepted the idea and even anxious to get on with it.

I was wondering why so many people here that have had this disease for several years have not had a BMT. Just curious if this is an option to most and because of the high risk factor people mostly decided not to do it. The doc said there was a 40% mortality rate in the first year after the BMT. Very scary to the both of us.