Thread: Upcoming BMT
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 PM

Transplant or not?

First, as a wife and caregiver I know the road you are traveling. Take care of yourself.
Second every MDS patient is different, the course of their disease is different and the decisions are made for different reasons.
My husband was at DX 2006, supportive care for 2 yrs, and then Vidaza whiched worked for him for 2 yrs. When it stopped working it was as if the electricity had been turned off. He started a spiral down hill. There were no clinical trials, no other drugs just transfusions. Luckily he had 2 siblings that were a match. He had a GI bleed and fungal lung infection the month prior to transplant. Transplant was delayed till the infection was controlled. He was under weight, weak but his mind was determined to push through. He ate even when he didn't want to, nor had the energy to lift a fork. He walked when all he wanted to do was stay in bed. He followed every order, took every medication and endured my incessant reminders that this too shall pass. That was 16 months ago. Today he excercises at the gym and my husband has returned. Full of life, joy and eager for adventure. No, it wasn't an easy path. The alternative.... plan a funeral. Yes, he entered the hospital with affairs in order. Yes, the odds in Vegas are better. When you have everything to gain and nothing to loose it is time to go for it. Survival is a wonderful instinct. It is not one day your sick then your well. It is a years journey to get back to normal. I am so grateful to the Dr, medical team, nurses, his sister/donor but most of all his spirit. I am grateful for these months together.
This is why he decided to go to transplant, (allogenic stem cell/sister).

Our best to you and your family.
kris