Thread: Father Failing
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 08:18 PM

Ellie, I'm sorry to hear of your Dad's condition. AA is serious enough on its own, but when you throw in kidney failure and his age, it makes it really difficult, if not impossible, to treat. If they think that he is a candidate for hospice, I would believe that and try to accept it.

I lost my father earlier this year (to prostate cancer). He also went into hospice care just briefly before he died, which was infinitely preferable to making his last days miserable with aggressive treatment. They kept him comfortable, he didn't have to leave his apartment, and he was at peace with it. Thankfully we had enough of a forewarning that my sister and I were able to fly in from opposite ends of the country to spend some quality time with him while he was still "with it". I'm really glad I did, and I know it meant a lot to him too. I would urge you to do the same, and I hope you can get your brother to go too.