View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:42 AM

Dear Billy, thank you to you and Tina for your thoughts and prayers during this time. You are both going through so much, but you always take time to help other people on this forum. You are an inspiration to us.

Elaine, thank you. We have decided to go to Hospice because we are alone, no family and we both need support during these final weeks. My mother passed away in April, she was only in Hospice a short time, but they took wonderful care of her. They were also very supportive of my needs during this time. Right now, thankfully, Dean isn't in any pain, but he is so very weak, he can only take a few steps, then he becomes short of breath. It is so difficult seeing him go through this. Thank you for your prayers and for being here for me!

Neil, thank you for sharing the link with me. I do wonder what will be happening to Dean during these final days, I want to be prepared, but as I could see, each person is different.

Dean's counts are so very low. His labs on Thursday were: WBC is 0.5, has been low for months, but thankfully he has not had an infection or been sick. The RBC is 2.10, Hemoglobin - 7.8, but he did receive one unit of PRBC yesterday, his last transfusion. His oncologist wanted to get him through the week end. Dean's platelets were 8, they haven't gotten above 16 these last few weeks.

You are the one that has been here for me, and I thank you so much for that.

Dean will be leaving me with his courage and dignity as he went through all of this the last fifteen months. Many days he was stronger than me. He never became upset, scared a few times, but never angry that this was happening to him. He endured so much, but tried so very hard to say positive.

We both want to thank everyone on this forum for their kindness, support, inspiring stories, prayers and thoughts. You have become our friends through this forum and we have felt less alone because of you. Thank you to each of you who have posted to let us know we are in your thoughts during this time. I hope you know how much that means to Dean and I.

I always end with love, hugs, faith, hope, prayers and a little laughter each day.

Patti and Dean
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013