View Single Post
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 10:45 AM
Owner

Francisb,

As I understand it, having a high MPV and a low platelet count indicates that a large percentage your platelets are new (recently released from the bone marrow). That implies that they aren't lasting long enough. These counts are useful to make a diagnosis, but since you already have a diagnosis I think what's important is to decide how your high-risk MDS should be treated.

I should also point out that diabetes is associated with a higher MPV, and that may in part explain your results. See this research report, for example.

Of the counts you mention, I think your blast count is the most important one. Medical researchers have drawn an arbitrary line at 20% blasts for classification and statistical purposes, but there's really little difference between 19% and 20% blasts. Treatment may be warranted either way. So the blast count found in your next bone marrow biopsy will be important, to find out what direction your blast count is headed.

I suggest that you request the MDS information packet from the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation, and that you check out the Bone Marrow Handbook and Frequently Asked Questions at the MDS Foundation website.