View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 06:50 AM

Father has MDS RAEB 2 Please Help

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum My father, was diagnosed with MDS RAEB 2 in July 2009 he is 78, and is living on transfusions since then, as doctor suggested supportive care he is getting Erythropoietin injection (Weekly), antibiotics. His platelet counts and HB drops in a month & needs nearly monthly transfusions of RBC & Platelets. His latest counts show like this HB: 6.4 DLC: 9100 Polymorphs: 09% Lymphocytes: 40% Blasts 37% Myelocytes 04% promyelocytes 00 Metamyelocytes 10 Eosinophils 00% Basophils 00% Platelets: 17000. I am scared that the diesease might have progressed to leukemia, can you look at the counts and say of sure that he has leukemia or it is still MDS.
Last week he was prescribed Dacogen which is a new product & has been launched in December 2009 in India, and other drugs Vidaza and Revlimid are still to come. I don't know why Thalidomide was not prescribed, I just wanted to get some insight of the disease from people & what can be done best, any help with drugs which can prolong the disease?

Thank You.