View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
He is on the excellence list of MDS foundation . . .
Hey JayC!

This is good news; I'm gald that your second opinion was from an expert.

As you have probably noticed, folks like me on this forum are not particularly shy about telling other folks what to do. That's partly because we encounter so many folks here who just see their local heme/onc, get fairly unaggressive, non-state-of-the-art treatment, and don't bother -- don't even know -- to look for other options.

It sounds like you have the situation well in hand from your perspective, and you have certainly done the forum a service by acquainting us with the economic challenges folks face trying to access health care in the US.

What still has me a bit mystified is that your doc isn't encouraging you to pursue a more aggressive course of treatment -- or at least look into clinical trials that might hold out some more hope than a two-year prognosis. As a healthy 56 year old, I just don't think I'd be satisfied with that -- and I think I'd feel exactly the same way as a healthy 72 year old.

We are all cut from the same cloth, but we are all stitched up in a unique pattern. And learning to respect the unique patterns of others is a important lesson that I have to relearn every day.

I hope your transfusions continue to go well and that you beat the socks off that two-year prognosis!

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com