View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 11:19 AM

Dick S and Bailie I have been following your discussion which has been very meaningful for me. My history is that I was diagnosed with MDS during my annual medical in the fall of 2012. ( Funny thing I was diagnosed with A-Fib at the same time). I was 73 years of age and until then I was the picture of health; golfed 5 days a week and went to the gym to work out every second day and sat on a Provincial (State) Board 2 days a week. I was put on a watch and wait program,, but in a few months had to ride in a golf cart to play as I began to get tired easily. In the fall of 2015 my Hemoglobin took a dive and I was placed on E-Prex 40,000 units once a week which I inject myself. This has had a positive effect and my last count was 117. My white count while not normal was not considered dangerous at the time. Three months ago at my usual appointment with my Hematologist/Oncologist I found that my white count had really fallen and consequently I was placed on the Vidaza program of 7 days on and 21 off. I completed my first 7 days this past Sunday..The Vidaza program at the Peter Lougheed Hospital in Calgary Alberta, Canada is co-ordinated by a Pharmacist attached to the Hematology Department. She has been a lifesaver as she went over the program in depth prior to my starting and is available by phone or email to answer any questions. She also acts as a bridge between myself and my Oncologist to make sure things go smoothly. As many of you will confirm trying to get hold of your Oncologist can be difficult at times. I live in a medium size centre outside of Calgary, and there is a regional Provincial Cancer Center at our hospital. This centre has just recently had a two and a half million dollar up grade and it looks like I will be able to continue my Vidaza treatment here subject to my Oncologist giving the go ahead on my visit in three weeks. So far the only side effects I have experienced have been sourness at the injection sites; relieved by evening primrose oil, some mild constipation relieved by a laxative (The pharmacist has suggested I start the laxative two days before I start my next treatment and on my last day of injection I was extremely tired after the injections. There was a problem with some crystallization of the Vidazda in one of the syringes and a number of attempts took place before the injection was successful. Dick, last year, until the season ended in October I golfed 3 days a week. I went to the driving range a couple of weeks ago and lasted a half hour before I tired out. How long after starting Vidaza were you able to get back on the golf course? To both of you; I continue to be quite sore on my stomach where the needles were given. Is this normal? Any suggestion you may have would be appreciated.