Thread: My Son's Story
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 6, 2010, 01:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmel View Post
So sorry to hear about your son! My 17 year old was diagnosed with AA in Sept 2010. Received ATG in oct 2010 and started cyclosporine at the same time. Continues to take cyclosporine 300-350 twice daily depending on his cyclosporine level and kidney function. His counts have been improving every week without transfusions. Last platelet transfusion Oct 15 and blood Oct 29. We live in southern Illinois and go to St Louis Children's Hospital. The drs there are GREAT!! His doctor is very informative and answers all questions. Do you know how your child aquired AA? I always wonder how this has happened to my son, he has always been a perfectly healthy kid. My other question about your child is are any of their counts rising? I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
It sounds like we've have a similar year. It sounds like your son is doing awesome. ATG and then no transfusions within weeks is amazing. Jacob's counts have gone up SLOWLY. His His platelets topped 40,000 last week and he's scheduled to get a red transfusion this Thursday, but the last one was 6 weeks ago. He tolerates 100 mg of cyclosporine 2x per day and I often wonder if that's too low of a dose to make a big difference. But we have to watch his kidneys so if that's all he can tolerate we can't do much else. I'm so glad to have found this site! My husband worked near Muscoutah last year and we almost moved to southern Illinois but he found a job close to home. Thanks for responding. Oh yeah, I have no idea how Jacob got AA. We did quit using grass fertilizers this year since we're on a well. They told us we'll never know what caused it which is frustrating. Is your son going to school? We have a teacher come to the house 2x a week. Jacob can go back once is ANC is over 1000.... hopefully in a month or two.