View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 10:39 PM

Question New here - Aplastic Anemia questions.

Hi, while I am fortunate enough not to suffer from Aplastic Anemia, my best friend does.

Allow me to tell you about him. He is 23 years old. He is in good health besides the Aplastic Anemia. His parents have already passed on. He has a couple aunts and a older (40 something year old) step-brother.

He was diagnosed in 2012. He spent a month or so in the hospital as they were able to bring his blood count levels to an acceptable level. He was released from the hospital and stayed at his grandmother's house for a few months. Slowly but surely, he was able to get his medications reduced and was able to resume a somewhat normal life.

He had been off the meds for a few months, when he went back to the hospital for a routine check, and they discovered his blood count levels had dropped. They prescribed him medicines and currently his blood count levels are going up very slowly. They decreased his meds alittle recently.

The Doctor wants to have a meeting with him in July. I don't know all of the details, but I am somewhat nervous.

Does it sound like he will have to go through with the Bone Marrow transplant? Currently his levels are in the safe zone, and are rising very slowly. Normally do the Doctors still do a transplant if the blood count numbers are in the "ok zone" and meds are not being increased or decreased?

Thanks
David