View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 6, 2012, 09:07 PM

"Wait and Watch" Good and Bad

Hi Catherine,

I was diagnosed with low risk MDS in May of 2011. I was considered a great candidate for a BMT since I was fit and young for this disease, and this was the ultimate goal, when necessary. However, I have been in a "wait and watch" mode ever since, which is great news, but at times hard to live with. My HGB is almost normal, my WBC is at 2.2 and my platelets are at 42.

At first the "wait and watch" mode was difficult because you are waiting for the bomb to drop, sort of speak. You live on the edge waiting for your monthly blood test results to show that your life will now change and treatment will now be necessary.

I realize I am older than you and I have had my children so it might be easier to feel more relaxed, but I have been able to do just that, relax. I have learned to appreciate the everyday things in live much more. I enjoy running 5 km in the evening in my neighbourhood. Many times I look up at the moon and say "thanks" for still being able to have this opportunity.

I don't know what the future holds with this disease. I hope it will be 10 to 15 years before I need a BMT, but I become more comfortable dealing with the "wait and watch" mode of this disease. I hope this helps you!

Janice
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!