View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 5, 2009, 12:11 PM

Maybe Lupron?

My daughter had her ATG treatment at 19 and at the time had a period that they could not get to stop -- even with a double dose of oral contraceptives. The gynecologist said it was the combination of a fibroid and because her liver was stressed from the cyclosporine and the contraceptive was metabolized by the liver. She ended up treating her with Lupron, which is a shot that basically puts your body into menopause for three months. It's very expensive but it did the trick. She received that once every three months over I think it was around 9 months to a year. By that time her counts had recovered enough that they switched her to oral contraceptives to keep her period light but let her have her period normally. Normally I would have been very against messing with her hormones to that extent but we had already ended up in the emergency room with hemorrhaging and did not want a repeat of that experience.

Kim O. - Mom to Shauna, SAA 10/07, ATG 12/07, counts in normal range and off cyclo 4/09.