View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:12 PM

Black tea to stabilize your iron overload

The postings on this website is rather old so I'm not sure my recommendation will do any good. I am transfusion dependant and I've been on Exjade and Desferral. Both started to ruin my kidneys so the treatment stopped. Since stopping Desferral about 7 months ago, and I have had about 5 transfusions ever since, my ferritin level has not gotten any worst because the doctor suggested that I drink BLACK TEA. I drink 2 bags of black tea 3 times a day and this made a big difference in my ferritin level. My ferritin level was raised in the hundreds with every bags of blood I get. Now when I have my ferritin test done, the increase is very minimal due to the black tea. Why doctor's don't tell us about black tea is a puzzle to me. I didn't know about black tea until I changed Oncologist and this Oncologist seems more concerned with my well being than the bottom line. If I had known about black tea in the beginning of my need for transfusions, I would have a very healthy ferritin level today after receiving approximately 70 units of blood.