View Single Post
Old Sun May 6, 2012, 04:16 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenish View Post
I am 52 this year - before diagnosis I was convinced I was peri menopausal...periods erratic and had stopped for a few months, hot flashes, hair growth on chin (male hormone kicking in), I was on the pill so doc would not do the female hormone test as the result would be compromised by the pill - so then had diagnosis SAA in january 2011 - had rabbit alg, and during serum sickness slight spotting....then nothing until about 2 months later and a period began, incredibly heavy, but, platelet infusion brought it to an end. After this scary experience I was put on Northesterone to stop periods completely, my consultant didn't really want me too, but I insisted.
However last transfusion was before christmas, (recently had platelets but that was only to remove hickman line which had failed) and counts currently hb 8.5 plates 30. I have experienced the most itchiest of rashes which has stopped me from sleeping, and scratching like a banshee in work which was embarassing! So this month I stopped taking the northesterone to see what happens, I am having a period, its no heavier than it used to be, but it is very bright red and low abdominal pain. I am still on cyclo - but strangely enough, no hot flashes anymore, clinic did a female hormone test on me and I have the same levels as a teenager, so menopause is way off for me according to that!!! I will never know if all the peri menopausal signs were really AA starting, or whether rabbit ALG has somehow put back my biological clock. My mum had her menopause in her mid 40's!! By the way, the itchy rash is subsiding, been off the northesterone 2 weeks now.
To bring you all up to date, the period started to come to an end, when all of a sudden I started to bleed even more heavier than before...went into hospital to explain - they gave me something ....acid to stop the bleeding, let me stay of northestrone up shot of it all is that consultant has referred me to gynae because I said this was no normal period, the bleeding has stopped considerably but is still there 3 weeks on, very low abdominal pain which almost feels like wind, consultant thinks maybe ovarian cyst, or the like! I am of that age as they say - he is happy for me to have regular periods and said to bleed for the 5 days and then start taking these tablets that stop the bleed, apparently he does not like northestrone one bit which is why he was reluctant to put me on them in the first place!!! he agrees that my iron levels will fall slowly with monthly periods, we just have to manage the loss of blood. Exjade was causing eye problems...well we think it is!! oh the joys! xxx