View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 07:52 AM

Auto Immune Diseases anf MDS

Ellen;

Earl has 2 other auto immune diseases - one is Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS or Hughes Syndrome) where you get clumped platelets or what they term 'sticky blood'. He has been on a blood thinner for over 8 years for that - the current one is Arixtra - but he hasn't had it since his MDS was dx since his platelet level is so low. The other one is Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis. For that one, he had been on Plaquenil and Prednisone. But there, again, when he was having the blood issues - I checked with his rheumatologist, and he said to stop the Plaquenil. He has been off the Arixtra for about 5 months, and off the Plaquenil for about 3 months. When we saw Dr. Sekeres last week - he said that the combination of receiving those 2 drugs for a long period of time MAY - and I stress may - have caused the MDS. But - the damage is done, and the drugs are long gone from his system. Dr. Sekeres also said that it may not be related at all, so I have no idea. Earl is still getting 60,000 units of Procrit weekly that I administer to him. He also still has a PICC line in place which I flush daily.
Good Luck to You.

Beth