Thread: Jaundice
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 9, 2011, 07:39 AM

Jaundice

Good morning all,
I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on as our doctors don't seem to have an answer and don't seemed to be concerned enough to find out.
My husband Don has MDS (RAMD) - and is currently in the Eltrombopag (Promacta) clinical trial for platelets at NIH. He is tolerating the med very well and his platelets are holding in the 20,000 for the first time since 2009. He is still red cell transfusion dependent. But that's an aside.
He also has some type of colitis/ulcerative colitis but they don't seem to be able to come up with a firm diagnosis as to what exactly he has - even after a colonoscopy. That's an aside as well.
The subject I'm writing about is that he is jaundiced. His face is yellow and parts of the whites of his eyes are yellow. Not terribly but noticeable enough that some of our health care providers have commented about it. The weird thing is that all his liver enzyme tests are normal - bilirubin - everything. He also recently had an abdominal ultrasound which showed a little sludge in his gallbladder and some athersclerosis (small buildup of cholesterol) in his abdominal aorta.
I would appreciate any input if someone has any experience with something like this.
Thanks so much and God Bless,
Sally