View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 07:37 AM

Kelly

I agree with you as to the level of medical expertise in Southern Delaware and may even feel stronger about the matter. I even had a Board certified Internist attempt to sell me Herbal Life as a remedy for a medical condition. (I found a new Dr.)

My low blood counts began to show up approximately eight years ago. They were not abnormally low and have remained within a range for the last eight years. I am not on any of the meds for MDS at this time and my major symptom is fatigue.

I regularly see a hematologist at Hopkins by the name of Moliterno. I have been under her care during the eight year period. She is conservative and in fact I insisted two years ago that we delve into this further. She then ordered the bone marrow and bone biopsy tests which confirmed the MDS diagnosis. SHe then referred me to a Dr. Steven Gore who is on staff at Hopkins. He is prominent in the MDS field.

The day that I saw Dr. Gore my hemoglobin result was a 14.0. This was the only time in eight years that it has reflected such a high number. Although my WBC and Platelets were below the norms, he felt that I did not need to undergo any of the current treatments for MDS unless my numbers begin to drop.

I understand that there is also a hematologist at Christiana Hospital that is excellent but I do not recall his name.

I do not have a definitive cause for my MDS although I have some suspicions. At one time I worked for GAF and my office was in the same building as the R&D lab. There was a time when there were strange odors in my office area. I do not know what they were nor was anyone able or willing to tell me.

Another possibility was at another job wher my office was next to a room that contained an electric transfdormer. I discovered this when my computer began to be severely affected by the transformer. ( What did it do to my body?)

I also was a heavy smoker of unfiltered cigarettes for 30 years.

I have no idea of what may have caused my MDS but I do have it and do deal with it. My best wishes for your Mother-in-law and her dealing with AA.
I think that she is smart to seek medical help outside of LSD as good care is scarce in the area.