View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 21, 2015, 07:51 PM

I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis for your dad. I hope that all goes well with his treatments beginning!! I know it is a blow to you and your family. When they show you the "facts" and the prognosis of someone with this disease It is a punch in the gut!! I also have MDS/refractory anemia w/ ringed sideroblasts. I am so far in the "good" category. I have only known about this for 2 1/2 months so it's all very new to me too and I am lucky that at this point I only have the RBCs to deal with. But it has hit me like a sledgehammer!! I have had three transfusions in 2 1/2 months. I have a lot of questions too and hope that by being on this forum that I can talk to others who can give advice and encouragement. My doctor started me on Aranesp injections and I will receive my 4th on the 28th of this month. My RBCs continue to drop though even with the injections. He told me that we should know in 12 weeks if the injections are working, so we will know perhaps on the 28th. He has suggested that we might try Vidaza next and then we will be looking at the Stem cell transplant if that doesn't work or maybe even if it does help. Not sure about that yet. Will pray for your dad that he will respond well to whatever treatment they decide to start him on, and for you, as you help him and your mom deal with all the information.