View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 8, 2008, 03:05 AM

Hi Alicia

I live in Austin, after moving from Houston 3 years ago. I had many BMB's by MD Anderson docs in 6 years, but noone diagnosed me until I went to see a transplant doc in Dallas. After that, I wanted a 2nd opinion of someone who knew what they were talking about, so went to the NIH (where they study bone marrow disease) to see Dr. Neal Young. I have mild aplastic anemia. I also have a genetic mutation. My father died from liver cirrhosis and hepatitis when he was 45 and Dr. Young thinks there might be a genetic link, since my grandfather died from hepatitis and cirrhosis as well. If you can afford it, maybe you should go to the NIH too. Each of my BMB's here cost $1300 out of pocket, so airfare to the NIH will be cheaper, and they'll give him sedation, plus they know what they are doing. Good luck to you, I hope you find some answers soon, Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.