View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:55 AM

BMB postpone again & ferritin level is high

Just to update my mom status. The BMB was postpone again today for another week as my mom doesnt feel good. She has fever and coughing, the hema saw my mom has difficulty of breathing when she is coughing, so the hema sent my mom for oxygen treatment for awhile.

The ferritin level was at 5186 from the blood taken 2 weeks ago. It seems to me my mom ferritin is fluctuate significantly within 20 days (from 3082 to 5186). Anyway the doctor prescribe the chelation therapy, Ferriprox of 1500mg/day as starting (should have 3000mg/day based on current ferritin level). According to the hema, the possibly side effect might be vomiting for about a month or two for some people.

Actually i read some of the threads for Iron overload and chelation therapy and found out that quite a few things need to be monitor as below. Plus i have some questions about the chelation therapy.

Monitor
1) HB and Cells count --- If HB and cells count going low after taking Ferriprox, should my mom go for BT and continue with the ferriprox or stopped the ferriprox totally ?
2) Visual and hearing
3) Check Creatinine (Kidney) and Albumin (Liver)

About the chelation therapy options, from the threads, most of the people choose Exjade, Is it because the ferriprox is not approved by FDA few years back or is it really the side effect is worst than Exjade ? If anyone has the info about this, much appreciated if you can share with me.

I remember reading the threads that the Chelation therapy should not go with vitamin C, when we brought this up to the hema, he does not know but he wants my mom to take the vitamin C after 2 hours consuming the ferriprox. Any thoughts is welcome. Thanks.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015

Last edited by teo : Wed Nov 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM.