View Single Post
Old Sun May 26, 2013, 03:09 PM

Possible similar case?

Hi, David. This is my first post here. My husband was diagnosed last February (after a couple of months of testing) with early/mild aplastic anemia, as well as monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (also very mild) and iron deficiency anemia. Initially it seemed that his counts were dropping at each visit, but mostly things seem to be stable. His RBC count went back up to the very bottom of normal once he started iron but never gets any higher than about 4.3 or so, his platelets tend to range from 120-135ish, and his WBC averages around 2.4, with ANC around 1.2 (lowest counts were 2.0 and .9, respectively). His one BMB showed about 25% cellularity but no clear dysplasia. (There were a few things noted like hypolobulation?--but it was referenced as "rare" or "occasional.") Sometimes his blood tests show reactive lymphocytes, toxic granulation, and large platelets. One time he showed a nucleated RBC. At the most recent test, he did not show monoclonal gammopathy but did show hypogammaglobulenemia. They checked for nutritional deficiencies but the only thing that turned up was the low iron. He's on watch and wait.

So I guess we are several years out from knowing if his story will or won't turn out to be kind of like yours. Good luck to you and everyone else fighting these blood disorders.