View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 25, 2015, 11:40 PM

Update -- 8/25/15

Hello All,

I have not updated in quite a while, so I'll update "My Story"... The short version is -- not much has changed. I still have pancytopenia... my blood counts are about where they were last year at this time. In fact, I seem to have been in a plateaued state for quite a while now -- which is a good thing.

Here are the totals from my last 3 CBCs (10/7/14, 4/7/15, 6/23/15):
RBC: 2.87...2.63...2.8
WBC: 3.7...3.6...3.7
Lymph #: 1.4...1.6...2.32
Lymph %: 38...45.5...28
Neut #: 1.9...1.5...2.13
Neut %: 51.6...42.3...62
Hgb: 10.3...9.7...10.0
HCT: 30.6...27.6...Not avail
Platelet: 46...48...47

Also, on 10/14/15, my hematologist sent some of my blood to GenOptix Medical Laboratory for a Myeloid Molecular Profile (i.e. Janus Kinase 2 [JAK2] V617F Gene Mutation Assay). The results as stated were: "Pathogenic mutations are NOT DETECTED." And also: "No known pathogenic mutations are detected in the genes tested." I do not pretend to understand all of what is in that report... I could list the various areas that were tested (e.g. RNA Splicing, Epigenetic, Tumor Suppressor, Transcription Factors, Activated Signaling), the gene, exons tested, etc. For each test performed, NO mutations were detected. I may not understand all of this, but I know that is good news!

In the last year or so, I have gotten sick with colds several times, the flu, and other little "ailments" -- maybe a little more than usual. I am not bruising much, and I have not had any bleeding issues. My energy has been pretty reasonable with HGB hovering around 10.0. So, I am very thankful that this pancytopenia is so very slow-moving.

I am still trying to drink a lot of water, exercising as much and as intensely as I feel like I can, and continuing to trust in God in prayer -- and in asking others to pray for me. I am thankful to God for the measure of health that I have.

I am also thankful for MarrowForums. I have learned a lot from visiting here from time to time. I would love to "talk" with any of you who have similar symptoms, or if you just want to talk about what is going on with you. May God bless you all!

David M

Last edited by David M : Wed Aug 26, 2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Updating info re: Myeloid test...