View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The formula for calculating the expected cellularity is "100 minus your age", so for someone my age (currently 52), I ought to have a cellularity of 100-52 = 48% cellularity! But instead, I have ~15% to 20%.

Did they tell you what your cellularity was after your bone-marrow biopsy?

David M
Hi David
I really appreciate reading about the different journeys and experiences.... it is helping me to wrap my head around many scenarios. Your experience has helped me to settle down a bit and not be as fearful by having no immediate answers.
I hope all goes well at your next visit
The biopsy report did not use the term "cellularity", but it did say "there are 46% myeloid elements which are well-represented and mature in an orderly fashion". It goes on to say "there are 24% erythroid elements which are megaloblastic and display an expected spectrum of maturation" and "iron stores are markedly decreased to absent"
Another point made is that the "megakaryocytes are normal in number and distribution; they are not as prevalent as one would expect to compensate for the low peripheral count"

No obvious red flags, no definitive causes. But I guess I am pretty "new" to this as well ;-)