View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2016, 04:57 PM

Update 6/29/16

Hello All,

Well, it is time for a yearly update of "My Story"... Not a lot has has changed in the last year. That is the good news! The bad news also is, not a lot has changed in the last year -- so I still have unexplained pancytopenia.

Here are the totals from my last 3 CBCs (10/14/15, 4/14/16, 6/28/16):
RBC: 2.61...2.81...2.84
WBC: 3.6...4.2...3.2
Lymph #: 1.8...1.7...1.24
Lymph %: 51...39.9...38.3
Neut #: 1.4...1.76...1.44
Neut %: 39.8...41.5...44.4
Hgb: 9.1...10.3...10.3
HCT: 27.7...30.4...Not avail
Platelet: 53...40...44

I have had pretty good energy in the last year -- done some reasonably regular and intense exercise (taking a break recently -- I need to get back on that!). Haven't been sick a lot (a few times -- colds, stomach bugs, and such). Haven't been bleeding or bruising excessively. No swelling in lower legs (well, not much anyway). Still doing the "watch and wait" thing -- not on any meds or treatments at this point, and still not doing any transfusions, etc. Thank God!

My counts started decreasing slowly in 2000 (at least that is when we noticed that they were low), and they continued to slowly decrease until June 2009. Since July 2009, my counts have been "amazingly stable" (as my hematologist at Vanderbilt said yesterday).

I am still trying to drink a lot of water -- more than I ever have in my life. This is something simple that anyone can do, and I think the benefits are numerous. A large percentage of our bodies (and of course, our blood) is made up of water -- so it makes sense to be well-hydrated!

I am thankful for each day of "good health" that God gives me -- I realize this could change at any moment. I do feel sort of "draggy" at times and tired, but I am never sure if that is the low-blood talking or just the way a 52-year old feels. I also feel a little "foggy brained" at times and have a little trouble concentrating -- but maybe this too is normal for a 52 year old? (I don't know, I have never been 52 years old before.)

Thanks for all the great support and info on MarrowForums! It has really helped me to keep some semblance of sanity in dealing with this Pancytopenia / Bone Marrow Failure situation.

David M