View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 2, 2016, 12:14 PM

MCV and MCH Values

I don't mind sharing the MCV and MCH values at all... Honestly, I need to be smarter about all of this! I don't know much about what these mean in the grand scheme of CBCs... but here goes:

MCV: As of 6/28/16, it was 110 fL (normal: 81-98). I went back and looked on some of my oldest CBC reports from years ago. Looks like in the older reports (10-15 years ago), my readings were usually between 98-105. In the last 5 years, it looks like it has stayed in the 105-109 range. Is this slight shift upward significant?

MCH: As of 6/28/16, it was 36.3 pg (normal: 27.0-32.0). In my records, this is the highest reading I've ever had. It usually was between 31-34 in the older reports, and has been 34-36 in the more recent reports. Again, is this gradual shift upward noteworthy?

How does this compare to your MCV and MCH?

So, do you think the "foggy brain" thing is directly caused by having low hemoglobin, etc.? It is hard for me to really put my finger on it. I just know that at times, it is necessary for me to try to learn new things (i.e. on my job), and it seems extra hard to concentrate, focus, and learn -- it is not impossible for me, it just takes much longer than it used to. You are the same age as me -- but you also have low blood counts! So, is it the age, or is it the "fog"? I just don't know. With a HGB of 9-10, is that low enough to induce "brain fog"?

David M