View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 3, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
MCV: As of 6/28/16, it was 110 fL (normal: 81-98). I went back and looked on some of my oldest CBC reports from years ago. Looks like in the older reports (10-15 years ago), my readings were usually between 98-105. In the last 5 years, it looks like it has stayed in the 105-109 range. Is this slight shift upward significant?

MCH: As of 6/28/16, it was 36.3 pg (normal: 27.0-32.0). In my records, this is the highest reading I've ever had. It usually was between 31-34 in the older reports, and has been 34-36 in the more recent reports. Again, is this gradual shift upward noteworthy?

How does this compare to your MCV and MCH?

So, do you think the "foggy brain" thing is directly caused by having low hemoglobin, etc.? It is hard for me to really put my finger on it. I just know that at times, it is necessary for me to try to learn new things (i.e. on my job), and it seems extra hard to concentrate, focus, and learn -- it is not impossible for me, it just takes much longer than it used to. You are the same age as me -- but you also have low blood counts! So, is it the age, or is it the "fog"? I just don't know. With a HGB of 9-10, is that low enough to induce "brain fog"?

David M
Hi David
Looks like we are in much the same boat there too.... most recent MCV (size of the red blood cell) is 109.2 and the MCH (amount of hemoglobin within each red blood cell) is also higher at 36.5 .... guessing our red cells are trying to compensate for the lack of numbers by being larger? These numbers are calculations so maybe it really doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things....

Are you also on iron and B12 supplements?

The "brain fog" really annoys me. I am willing to blame some of it on age, but I refuse to believe it is all age-related. I am a young 52.... and until this all started I was in excellent shape and health. I do think my pancytopenia is the main cause (or rather whatever is causing my pancytopenia is the main cause)..... I do think it is very telling that you, bailie and I all notice this "fog"....

This might sound like a weird question.... do you ever get the feeling that when you take a deep breath you can't actually fill your lungs all the way? Everyone thinks I am thinking too hard about and that I am going to hyperventilate. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen and it is not a mental thing. I just can't get the full, deep, satisfying breath for a while. I don't know how else to describe it....

Wishing you and your family a Happy 4th of July