View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 8, 2018, 04:28 PM

apheresis again

Delle C,
I am very glad that your husband found a sibling match, his sister willingly donated her stem cells, and that the transplant was initially successful.

I videotaped my brother going through the apheresis process: he was stretched out for 6 hours ! Mind you, he is a healthy strong and a loving brother, but it still took a toll on him. So for your husband's sister's hesitation in going through another apheresis should relapse occur, I understand.

Before going through the process, the transplant team, doctors and coordinator talked to my brother alone through an interpreter to make sure he was on board, donating of his free will, and explaining to him of all the risks. So, my advice is to let the transplant team talk to your sister.

My hematologist says that if I relapse they will not do a donor lymphocyte infusion, because the initial sibling cells didnot "work". They would do a second transplant, this time cord blood.

My prayers for your husband, you and your family. I hope everything will work out well.
Meri