View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 02:29 PM

Hi Sidhartha,

My father is 81 and was diagnosed with MDS about 4 months ago. His blasts were about 18% and he has chromosone abnormalities. He just completed his 3rd round of Vidaza and we think he is doing relatively well. Dehydration was an issue so I belive he is getting saline frequently and he is drinking a lot of water. Constipation was also an issue but I think they have dealt with that. His WBC have been all over the place (as low as .6 and then they bounced up to 11) so he is on Neupogen regularly now. His RBC and platelets have stayed pretty stable which is good.

He too has a 7 day treatment with a 21 day break. The week of the Vidaza treatment tends to be tough and usually he doesnt feel great for the following 2 or 3 days. Then he is seems to feel ok until the next treatment. We will do a bone marrow biopsy next month to find out if the Vidaza is affecting the blasts.

Unfortunately this is a very up and down process so you really learn to value each good day and do everything you can to be supportive on the tougher days. He checks his temp twice daily and when his WBC are lower, he stays away from public places. When he is feeling good, he rides his stationary bike and walks to tries to build up his endurance.

Best of luck to you and everyone... my prayers are with all of you.