View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 6, 2012, 03:48 AM

Hi Hopeful, i will ask the doctor to do the tests that u and Birgitta-A mentioned before in order to find out what is the best treatment for my mom.

FYI, i am not with my mom as i am currently working oversea, actually my sister is the one that accompanied my mom when she first diagnose with MDS. One pieces of information that makes me feel sad now is i received the answer from the stem cells medical adviser that my mom age is not suitable for stem cells transplant. Also the hematology that treats my mom now saying he would not recommending VIDAZA or DACOGEN because of her age as well. Seems the only option for my mom at the moment and future is just blood transfusion. This is what been informed by the hematology doctor after trying the cyclosporine - no response.

Personally i dont think blood transfusion is the good options as it will/might make her body weak/prone to other illness sooner or later and create even more bad blood cells. Just curious, has anyone that have the blood transfusion continuously for more than 5 years, "i simply quote a time" and still living as they used to be ? sorry if i asked a rude/impolite question. I just want to find out as the doctor told my sister that the ONLY option for my mom is just blood transfusion.

Thanx all again to provide me with good and informative information that ease my worries. Still i am worry everyday that i might lose her, As i am working oversea now, will only be able to be home around this december.

I just recall one more thing, according to my sister, the goverment hospital gave the injections of B12 to my mom before but they stopped it after a few times trying. There might be vitamin deficiency for my mom as the goverment hospital still gave her different kind of vitamins. I will list the vitamins name here once i have it.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015

Last edited by teo : Sat Oct 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM.