View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja View Post
I live in Switzerland and suffered of Aplastic Anemia 17 years ago. I recovered after first treatment (the horse liquid) and 2-3 years of taking cyclosporine tablets.
Hi Anja,
I went under the same "horse-treatment" in Basel, Switzerland, 29 years ago, when I was 11 years old (I´m 40 now). Head doctor of the section at the clinic (Kantonspital Basel) was Dr Speck (sp?), and Dr. Gratwohl followed him a few years later.

I have been living with low plaquetes for the last 15 years (20 - 30 thousand, compared against the normal 150 thousand). I found this forum doing an Internet search, since my last count was at 20 thousand a month ago, and it was never this low so far. I go back and forth from 23 to 30K, but having lived like this for 15+ years didn´t make me nervous (I do complete blood tests each 4 months and visit an hemathologist once a year.

My clinical story might help others, I went under liver surgery 15 years ago as a result of a beningn tumor caused by the testoterone based medication (Nilevar) after the AA treatment. Afyer dropping those pills after surgery, my plaquetes count dropped to 30K and I have been living with that since then. I developed Diabetes Type 2 though...but I can control it with diet and excersice. I take no other pills other than 5mg of folic acid, and the diabetes pills at night.
I had a bone marrow test some 6 years ago, production showed low, but that was it...

Kind regards, greeting from Buenos Aries, Argentina,

Joaquin