View Single Post
Old Sat May 10, 2014, 11:35 AM

If I had low risk MDS I would not be seeking a SCT. On the IPSS-R scale mine comes out at very high risk, altogether different betting odds. Your figure of $433K seems high, casual conversation with my doctors say more like $250K. Insurance typically settles at 1/3 to 1/2 of that. I thought Sweden had good public health insurance.

These days mini transplants are done on patients well up into their 80's if they are in good health. There does not seem like much of a difference in survival rates. The curves seem to say if you survive the first year you stand a good chance of having a near normal survival. 60% survival rate odds beats 0%.

My sisters are 66 to 78. The two younger ones had children, the older one is a cancer survivor in frail health. All else being equal my youngest sister seems to be the better donor. She had one child. My doctors seem to downplay the difference between male and female donors. My brothers range from 56 to 76. It is too bad that my baby brother was not a match.

I am currently on a clinical trial for AG221 which is supposed to suppress the 2HG metabolite that is produced by a mutant IDH2 gene. Early results showed partial or complete remission in 6 out of 7. Onr theory is that mutant gene is what caused my rapid MDS progression.