View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 1, 2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimO View Post
Dear Angie,
I'm hoping along with you that this is just a bump and your platelets will rebound quickly. Be encouraged that even if you are facing a relapse your great response last time bodes well for a full recovery again. It may be even be possible to recover your counts on cyclosporine alone without repeating the ATG. After Shauna relapsed she resumed her therapeutic dose of cyclosporine and her counts were back in the normal range within a few weeks. She recently started a taper of 25 mg every three months that, if successful, will take 2 years to complete. Keep us updated, we're here for you!
Thank you, Kim, for your wonderful encouragement! I'm still hopeful that it's just a crazy, whacky gliche of the system giving out random cbc counts, of course. You never give up on that idea no matter what stage of the game. But, I am grateful that if, indeed, I am seeing the "R" word trying to sneak up on me, I was able to catch it in its act early. (I've got my sword pulled, AA!! Nice try!!) And, like you said, I'm hopeful that, if needed, another round with cyclosporine (as much as I loathe the stuff) will bring my counts back to my happy normal levels again.

I wish your daughter, Shauna, many blessings in hopes that she will see success this time around!! By the way, I was 19 when I was diagnosed, too.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil