View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:18 PM

You say that the hematologist didn't do transfusions because your father wasn't anemic . . . well, you can get a transfusion of platelets only, and that might be something worth considering. Depends on where his platelets are now. There are good reasons to not do transfusions lightly and your own circumstances and doctor will determine that. Also, one person may function well at a level that would be impossible for another. No real hard and fast rules there . . . you need platelets to clot blood in case of a surgery or other event. The WBC is a different story, and I'm really thinking your father needs some help (and that would be the Neupogen or Neulasta injections) to boost his white blood count to help fight off the staph infection. There's not the down side with these injections that there can be with transfusions, and it seems that most doctors don't hesitate to try them. Sure wouldn't surprise me if his improvement is attributable to the Vidaza . . . that does seem to be its pattern.

I don't know what to tell you about hospice. I've seen good and bad there . . . and there are lots of different organizations running hospices . . . all different, I'm sure. We went through it with my mother last year. Good and bad. I know the basics are that you have to agree to not seek aggressive treatment for your condition. But you can go in and out of hospice. If your father were to go back on Vidaza, that would probably mean leaving hospice. But I would think that Neulasta or transfusions would be seen as more palliative and would not require his leaving hospice. I would think that the true spirit of hospice would welcome one of their patients recovering enough to leave hospice . . . but then money is lost . . . and there's our cynicism again.

Don't be too quick to rule out assisted living because of the dogs. Depends at least in part on finances. My father is in a delightful retirement community . . . and we are so thankful that he has the financial wherewithal to afford it. He is in independent living now, but started in assisted living at the same property. Residents do have dogs. And when they aren't up to walking the dog themselves, there are employees around who are willing to help out . . . for a price, I'm sure, but still. Worth checking out.

Do you want my personal email or phone number? There's a way of connecting privately here; I just haven't had occasion to try it. But I'd sure be more than willing to talk to you more personally.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].