View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdseibold View Post
Does anyone understand what hypercellularity has to do with MDS? My hematologist seemed to think this was the smoking gun.
Hypercellularity (literally "too many cells") is a common characteristic of MDS, but some MDS patients have normal cellularity or hypocellularity (too few cells).

Hypercellularity of bone marrow cells is a sign of a bone marrow problem, but it's not always MDS. Myeloproliferative diseases or AML can also be indicated. So you might call it a smoking gun, but one that doesn't completely identify the suspect.

Quote:
How does one avoid all infection? On wiki they say to only eat cooked fruit and veggies. Really. I would think uncooked might be better for overall health which is important. We are not a 3rd world country.
There's a tradeoff between eating for general health and eating in a way that lowers the risk of infection. For example, boiling food reduces both bacteria (which you want to reduce) and water-soluble nutrients (which you would have preferred not to reduce). Fresh fruits and vegetables are great for general health but are more likely to be a source of infection than, say, processed vegetable soup from a can. Leafy vegetables are good for us but washing them one leaf at a time is a royal pain. I know - I did this for my wife when she was most neutropenic.

If you do Internet searches you'll find a number of recommendations for neutropenic diets, for example this one. As Mary4Mike said, common sense is also a good guide.