View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 30, 2022, 12:00 AM

Smile Elevated MCV and beyond

Hi,

Just popping by, for what is hopefully the last time. I started this thread to replace a twitter one that I had back in the day, as I mentioned in the beginning. As an elevated MCV and low reticulocytes is my only connection to the diseases of this forum, it's probably best I toddle off.

However, if, like myself, you found this forum after googling elevated MCV and you're not a drinker, have normal B12 and are absorbing your B12, and know this as you have been tested up the whazoo - the last 3 years have gifted me with the following knowledge.....

Thyroid - get it tested and tested again. Thyroid health is not highlighted enough and does seem to impact MCV levels. Either that, or, it's really, really, really, really coincidental.

Celiac's disease - consider it, and get tested if you can, especially if you have IBS. Doctor's can be dismissive about IBS and you may have to push. I have never been tested and have seen more rolling eyeballs than I can count. But, the pain is real and the impact of malabsorption is very, very real. It's worth the head and tail to find out!

Hormones - get them tested, and if you're female and keen, don't hesitate with HRT as it may help. If you're female like me, and don't want to go the HRT route, fiddle with soy. It has helped me immensely.

Digestion - is another health element that is not highlighted enough and nutrition impacts on your bone marrow. Working with a nutritionist, or being savvy yourself with the low FODMAP process, can help you to isolate what is impacting on your digestion. I uncovered my issues with gluten and dairy here. And with garlic, eww.

Exercise - daily!

That's it! Whilst I still have no idea what's driving the bus, and I'm not normal, I'm better than I was 3 years ago, and I'm stable.

Stay well and good luck!