View Single Post
Old Thu May 1, 2008, 04:04 PM

Question Decrease in Cyclosporine dose

At what point do patients w/AA know that it is OK to decrease the cyclosporin? I was diagnosed w/AA in March 2007. I responded to 1 ATG treatment and continue today on cyclosporin drugs. My last red blood cell transfusion was August 2007. My blood test results have been relatively consistent (varying 1-2 points up and down) for the past 4 months. Last test results 2 weeks ago were hemoglobin 11.4, hematocrit 32, plateletets 138,000, neutrophils 1700, WBC 3.1 and RBC 2.8. I feel really well and exercise regularly. My last BMB was July 2007 with <10% celularity. Another BMB will be done in July 2008. My hematologist wants to begin a very slow reduction in cyclosporin by 25 mg per day (I'm currently taking 125 mg in a.m. and 125 mg in p.m.). She explains my blood levels may always be just a bit below normal. Although I'm thrilled to think I may begin the long road toward eliminating cyclosporin completely, I'm not sure I have all the information for making that decision. What are other AA patient experiences with criteria for deciding when to decrease cyclosporin?

Thank you.