View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hello, Paul.

Welcome to Marrowforums. I hope you can find some useful information and support here. It sounds like you have just enough information to induce panic and not enough to make any sort of decisions right now. The first thing I would suggest is contacting the Aplastic Anemica & MDS International Foundation and asking for their basic information packets about AA and MDS since you don't know yet which you might have.

The counts that you reported in your other posts don't sound too bad although it is disturbing to see even small declines. A diagnosis of MDS can only be confirmed with a bone marrow biopsy so try not to convince yourself that you have it as opposed to AA or any other hematological disease until you've seen the doctor and been tested.

While it's generally true that MDS is a disease that affects older people, I was diagnosed at 41 (not much older than you are now) and had my transplant at 43. You can read about my experience here. I recently passed the 10th anniversary of my transplant with a matched unrelated donor and am fortunuate to be in very good health with few long-term side affects to bother me. While it's true that transplant outcomes are nearly the same whether the donor is related or not, I think the preference is still to use a matched donor if there is one. Do you have siblings who could be tested?

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, if you post them here.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra