View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:05 AM

Paul36....I've been out almost 10 years like Ruth has. to make a long story short....was 17 when I got the transplant for MDS that turned AML. Now I am 26 and getting ready to turn 27 in the next week.

some tid bits that might help.
1. get treatment where they do a lot of what you need. experience speaks volumes when it comes to something as technical as a BMT.....and oh yeah don't forget about the GVHD which you will get...guaranteed. I still have GVHD and I am trying to email Ruth about that to see what she thinks.
2. NEVER EVER EVER EVER take prednisone for GVHD. Again if you get a doc with experience he/she will know not to use it over other viable alternatives out there. Prednisone and Clobetasol are BAD BAD drugs.
3. and when you feel like warmed over dog **** when your home after the transplant it helps to only take half the dosage of antibacteria/antifungal drugs. I did that all the time and never had an infection at all......maybe I'm an anomoly but the worst I've ever had in 10 years is stomach flu. But never skimp on the immunosuppresents......because you will pay dearly later on.
4. And above all and most important NEVER GIVE UP......KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!

PS-Ruth please email me.....I need some of your advice on GVHD to see if you have the same problems as I do after 10 years....Geez I'm getting sick and tired of my skin doing whatever it wants.