View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 1, 2016, 12:36 AM

Have not read about donor cell leukemia ...

although I can see the possibility and just a quick search is that it most likely under diagnosed.

We went to a seminar a couple of weeks by a local cancer institute, one thing they mentioned is that some, possibly many, of us will die with one or more forms of cancer inside us, but our 'incredible immune' system normally keeps things in check and we die of another disease. Going with the DCL that you mentioned, what happens when someone receives a new immune system from someone who has a mutation that the recipient did not have originally and can they fight it off? It is all very interesting, but we certainly wish we not even thinking of these questions! I might try and probe this idea further at our next appointment, but that is not until mid-December and it is a day filled with 6 appointments.

Wonderful that Vidaza worked with 30% blasts, my husband had first tried Dacogen which they said was similar to Vidaza before MDS transformed to AML, so they did not think that was an option.
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.