View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:15 PM
Owner

Itchycrystal,

Don't be shy about asking the doctor any of these questions. Doctors can't guess how much you want to know or how much you'll understand, but when you ask them questions it's their job to give you explanations in words you'll understand. It helps if you learn some of the terminology and meet them halfway.

I don't think you should ignore these symptoms. It's surprising to hear that you have a normal RBC count since shortness of breath is often a sign of low hemoglobin, but other factors could be at play. Certainly your low platelets explain the petechia and bruising, but of course you want to know what explains the low platelets.

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for a bone marrow biopsy to be inconclusive, because evaluation depends on the sample they get.

A lymphoid aggregate is a cluster of immune cells. From what I've read, interstitial lymphoid aggregates are indeed rare, showing up in only 1% to 2% of bone marrow biopsies, and lymphoid aggregates can be either benign or malignant. It's hard to tell which is the case without more tests. Lymphoid aggregates are sometimes associated with immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) but also with infections and other health conditions. Interstitial means "between other cells", and is just one of the clues to what's going on.

The karyotype results should help with your diagnosis. It's too bad those don't come back quickly like blood test results.

You asked if you should be worried. I would be. But I don't recommend sitting at home and worrying since that won't help anything. Instead, I suggest that you make a list of questions for the doctor and read what you can to learn more about what you are hearing.

I doubt there was anything unusual going on with your tissue being "stored in a lab for future testing". I'd think it's either what they also do when a trained analyst examines your bone marrow biopsy results in the lab, or part of their routine research. If it's a special study of some kind, they should have asked you if you volunteer to be a participant.