View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 06:12 PM

Lamilu, I've heard other patients talk about big differences in batches of platelets. It can either be a freshness issue, or one of compatibility. Fresher is better, as platelets expire quickly. Blood type doesn't matter for Plt donations, but certain donors may be more compatible for other reasons. When Ken was getting transfused, his average Plt boost from a tx was usually up to about 45k, so 53 doesn't sound too unusual to me. Now, if it goes up from there without another transfusion, then that would be a sign.

I'm not sure what the doctor meant about her counts not having dropped enough yet. It is not uncommon for them to go down before going up, but I've never heard of any specific amount that they are supposed to go down, or of that being proof that the medications are working. I always figured you knew they were working when you start having longer intervals between needing to be transfused, and then stop needing it altogether.