View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseMom View Post
I am having a similar experience. My WBCs have been low for many years (low 3s and recently dropped to 2.8). I also had low RBC and platelets for the first time during routine physical (slightly low) and when I went to the hematologist recently, he re-ran the bloodwork. RBCs and platelets were back to lower end of normal but WBCs still low.

He also ran a whole lot of other blood tests that all came back normal as well as an abdominal ultrasound.

I am having a bone marrow biopsy on Thursday. He said it was my call. We could watch and wait or we could move forward with BMB. I am 55 yo and adopted so I opted to have the BMB in hopes of catching things early if there is a problem.

I am really healthy, normal energy, very good diet, normal weight.

Worried but hope that everything is good on Thursday.

Terre
The difference between low 3's and 2.8 seems pretty small to me -- 10-12% or so, and WBCs fluctuate a fair amount even in healthy individuals based on time of day, so that may not represent a trend of any sort. If your blood counts have been stable for many years (and you don't get persistent infections), that may just represent your baseline and nothing to be concerned about.

What was the abdominal ultrasound for ? I didn't think those were used to diagnose blood cell counts ..