View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 11:42 PM

So, What's Your Anemia Like?

Hi y'all!

I'm about to go in for a packed RBC transfusion (after eight weeks this time, instead of the usual six!). That means my hemoglobin is at it's nadir at the moment, in my case, 7.9 two days ago. (That's actually a bit better than it has been prior to previous transfusions; but dropping below 8.0 is where my doc and I have agreed we'll get some RBCs.)

So, for about the last week, I have blood pounding in my ears all night and I wake up feeling like I have a hangover and got punched in the face by somebody in the bar last night while I was setting up for the hangover.

I'm fatigued of course, but that's par for the course with this disease. As I understand it, if you don't have fatigue, they kick you out of the cancer club. :-) Besides, I spent the last four days setting both wooden and metal fence posts, so I ought to be tired.

So, for me, it's blood pounding in the ears, a nasty hangover, and a punch in the face. What's your anemia like?

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com