View Single Post
Old Mon May 7, 2012, 07:47 PM

Coping-

There are two parts to the bone marrow biopsy. The first part is the aspirate, where they take liquid from your bone to test for changes in your cells and DNA. The second part is the trephine, where they take a core sample of your marrow to test also. If the two tests match, that usually is pretty indicative of a diagnosis. The problem with hypoplastic marrow is that there aren't very many cells in the trephine sample and it can be hard to determine if it is MDS or AA sometimes. I would ask your doctor if the trephine and aspirate both showed dysplasia and if the trephine sample of the marrow was a good quality sample.

It's good that you don't have an increase in blasts, blasts are immature white blood cells that increase in people with leukemia.

Dysplasia and dyspoiesis means that your cells are abnormally shaped and aren't maturing properly. Trilineage hematpoiesis means that all three precursor blood cells (platelets, red and white cells) aren't functioning normally.

Negative cytogenetics and FISH test must mean that you don't have any genetic mutations, which is also a good thing.

Knowing what your blood counts are may help too.

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor what it means, I make my hematologist explain these terms to me so I can understand when I read my test results. Hope this helps a little for you.

Best of luck