View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:57 PM

StephM and Hopeful,

If memory serves me, I think you are both correct. This seems to be such an unpredictable disease, you can find studies on response time vs relapse that indicate both.

And same thing with response times/relapse (or no relapse) of folks I know personally in my SAA support group here in Denver.

I responded so slowly StephM. I wasn't where your brother was at week three, until after month 4. My hemoglobin didn't even reach 9 until month 6. Those were long tired months! I was so worried too. But now a month 20, I'm doing pretty well as per my counts below, I work full time, exercise, and have my life back. But I can't tell you how much I envied the early responders in those first frightening months!

Then I know a patient who responded very quickly like your brother, and she is doing just great 11 months post ATG.

I do recall that NIH studies correlate a fast response to good prognosis.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.