Thread: Newb
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 2, 2015, 11:03 PM

Question Newb

Hi there,

I had my first BMB last month. My doctor is unconcerned with the smattering of abnormal results. I do not want to work myself up over it as you'd think I could trust a hematologist of all doctors.

So here are my questions: Can B12/Folate deficiency cause macrocytosis even if supplementing them heavily? My RBC was low and MCV was high so I thought B12 might make sense of all the options I read about.

Has anyone been told that low cellularity (I was 33 years old at BMB, 40% cellularity) was caused by vitamins or medications you were on? Did it turn out to be true?

Do small loose lymphoid aggregates matter (with T and B cells in them)?

What is mild dyserythropoeisis in erythroid maturation?

Does having <1% CD34+ myeloblasts matter? I think that was in the aspirate.

My neutrophils were high (62%) - could that "throw everything off?" The doctor's resident made it sound that the BMB was not to be taken very seriously because I likely had an infection. I did not feel sicker than I always do, although I found out soon after that my gallbladder was failing and I had a pituitary tumor I didn't know about, so maybe those could explain it.

Also from the aspirate - how can I find out what promyelo, myelo, seg, ortho, and mono mean? Those levels were off, especially the "ortho" one. I think I understand everything else well enough.

Thank you for any slice you can take on for me!
All the best,
Tessal8