Thread: Newb
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 6, 2015, 11:27 PM

I can't help with the rest of it but I think, in terms of promyelo, myelo, seg, ortho, and mono: promyelo = promyelocyte, myelo = myelocyte, seg = neutrophil, mono = monocyte. Promyelocytes & myelocyte are precursors (early versions of) netrophils that will eventually mature into neutophils (aka segs). Monocytes are a type of white blood cell. The main types of mature white blood cells are neutrophils and lymphocytes, with monocytes and eosinophils making up the rest (eosinophils are your "allergy causing" white blood cell)s. I'm not sure what ortho are.

Neutrophils of 62% is pretty normal. Aplastic Anemia shows the opposite - lymphocytes are abnormally high (60-100%) and neutrophils are abnormally low. This is because Aplastic Anemia is an autoimmune disease where your viral fighting white-blood cells, lymphocytes, wipe out your bone marrow. Similar to Type 1 diabetes where your lymphocytes attack your ability to produce insulin in your bone marrow. High neutrophils are better than low.

Viruses/infections can do all kinds of crazy things. Lyme disease, hepatitis A, and mononucleosis alone are known to cause Aplastic Anemia, and mononucleosis is known to cause leukemia (cancer of the bone marrow). Most effects to the bone marrow from viruses are transient. The issue is that most people go to the doctor, are told they have a virus, and go home. They don't have a blood test much less a bone marrow biopsy done. A few months later all may be okay, but it can take a while.

What were the symptoms that caused you to look into this in the first place? That may help us answer your questions.