View Single Post
Old Fri May 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hi There

I was all for the SCT after hearing that the doctor said its a cure for my dad even though at his age (61) he runs a mortality risk of 10%. But, after reading your link it seems that 50 is kind of the threshold. This makes sense. In addition, he isn't well at all and struggles daily. Clarifying with my Mom she says the doc said that he has 3 subtypes? she said that he has excess blasts etc. I have emailed him to get specifics. His WBC has hovered around 0.2 to 2.4 which is a lot less than is required in the article. This also makes sense.

Nevertheless Vidaza seems to have taken hold this cycle, we're waiting for his fourth cycle. Poor guy, his stomach is still black and blue after the last cycle. Was reading about possible IV and I think that if he decides to go for a fifth and sixth cycle I might recommend this as an alternative.

What makes me feel a bit down is that medicines are so expensive and an SCT could cost half a million rand and then the likelihood of him not making it is so great. How difficult life is to force one to place a price on wellness!!!!

I am so excited that my brother and his family have decided to come and visit next week (flying in from New Zealand) and we're having a family photography session which is going to be great!

I guess its each day at a time....
Ali
Alison, daughter of Rod aged 61; Dx May 2007; was on Neupogen and Eprex Aug - Dec '07; Vidaza recommended 6 cycles starting Jan '08, only 5 cycles completed. Chemotherapy commenced: July '08 - Feb - '09. Cytarabine & Daunarubicin. Transfusion dependent.